Saturday, January 2, 2010

he liked it, so he putta ring on it.



welp, I'm engaged. To a really, really great man, who is so devilishly handsome and nice and smart, and funny, and is a great best friend. (i mean, seriously, look at him!!!!)

So here is the story(its gonna be detailed, because i want to remember it):

I first started to get to know Daniel Mooney last year when I bought a month of nice notes from him from the Ward Service Auction ( they are little pieces of paper, that on Sundays you write something nice on, then the Friendship Council delivers them Sunday evening) I thought it was so funny that someone would auction these off, because you can basically only write two words on them, because the pieces of paper are so small. So, I told him that since I had payed money for these nices notes, they better be at least a page long, and in song or prose format. He was so creative and funny with them and I even blogged about it here and here.
(pic from last year's nice notes)


So, this year for Christmas, Daniel kept on asking what I wanted for Christmas. I just told him, not to buy me anything because I knew he was going to buy a ring for me. So, he said that he would do another month of nice notes for me. The first one he did, was right before he went home for Christmas. It was a compiliation of Rap/ Hip Hop songs that he had changed the words to. He did it in front of my whole family (um. super cute. i love him).

He was down in AZ over Christmas and I was in UT. He was coming back on New Years Eve and so he told me he wanted to take me on a date that night. I was like OK, but I was just thinking it was a date because it was NEW YEARS and because we hadn't seen each other in so long.

Anyways, on the way up to Salt Lake, he asked me if I wanted the rest of my nice notes, I said "sure, whenever, i don't care when you give them to me."

So, we went to dinner at Thaifoon at the Gateway. (side note here: We got in the elevator, going up to the restaurant, with a few older couples. Daniel asked them if they knew where thaifoon was. Then Daniel asked one of them "Bishop Edgely, right?" and then the old guy was like, "yeah, and what's your name?" It seemed like they knew each other. So i was like, " oh cool! how do you guys know each other." well, he is in the PRESIDING BISHOPRIC. he didn't look at all familiar to me, and still doesn't. maybe, i should listen
in conference better. so embarrassed.)
(Daniel got curry)

(i got lamb chops)

After dinner, Daniel wanted to give me a nice note, so he went and got his guitar and sang me "I'm yours" by Jason Mraz on a bench at the Gateway.

Then we headed over to the Joseph Smith Memorial Building where they were having free musical performances all night. There was this big band and a lounge type singer lady. They sang songs like " Don't get around much anymore." and "A tisket a tasket i dropped my little basket." There were a whole bunch of elderly(like 70 and older) people there, a lot of them got up and danced, and so did we. (daniel kept on asking if we should take our stuff with us, when we walked away like 20 feet to dance. it was kind of weird.)
(the band and a few of our elderly friends)

Then we went to this party at the Gallivan center. There were art displays, and professional snow boarders, and a dance area, and a stage.
(me interpreting the interpretative art, that wasn't very impressive)

Daniel gave me another nice note there. It was a mash-up of a lot of really good songs, that was really cute.
(daniel's turn to interpret)

We were getting a little bored of the party, until this really awesome band, called the Voo Doo Orchestra started playing. They were all kids under the age of 18, that were like a Jazz Band Extrodinaire. The singer was amazing. He is going to be the next Michael Buble. We listened to that for a while.
(us, with the great band playing up on the stage)

Then, right before 12, Daniel said he wanted to go on top of the Conference Center, to watch the fireworks. But we only made it to the bottom. We watched the fireworks and then I might have given him a New Years Eve kiss.

Then he pulled something out of his chest pocker of his jacket. I was sort of thinking it was going to be a ring at that point but it was just New Years Eve poppers.

Then he wanted to give me the last nice note. We tried to go up the stairs to the top, but they were locked. So we went over on some steps at the conference center that was near a water fall. He pulled out a poem that said the nicest and sweetest things to me. I cried. It was so sweet and special and beautiful.

(about 20 mins after he asked)

He then told me to stay right there and got down on one knee and proposed to me. I said yes and then started sobbing. It was so sweet and special and beautiful, again. I love him. I can't believe that I am going to marry Daniel P. Mooney. A guy who is so much more than I could have ever imagined and that I love so much.

Then we came home and celebrated with Katie, who was the only one up!
love,
future Jennifer Mooney


p.s. i have a few things i am glad about. i am glad i did my hair, i am glad i decided to paint my nails that day( cuz i have always imagine getting engaged with painted nails), and i am glad that i totally wasn't expecting it that day( hoping, yes. but expecting? no.)



10 comments:

Annie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Theresa Mooney said...

So happy! I got teary-eyed reading about how sweet my brother was and is to you. It is meant to be! Yay!

Megan said...

Jen!! Thanks for posting the story - I loved reading it! Congratulations and I am so happy for you. He definitely seems like a keeper :)

Hillary said...

Congratulations Jen! I'm so excited for you both!

emily Stoddard said...

ah jen!!! this makes me so happy :)

Carly said...

Love it!! Congratulations!!!

jeffandbrianne said...

Awww, that's the happiest thing ever! Yay! You two make an adorable couple.

Anonymous said...

LOVE THAT !!!!

Laura said...

Jen! That was so sweet and i am so happy for you two! I am not lying when i say this but you two are my new favorite couple ;) Love love love you and all of your roomies!

Don and Amy Bennion said...

Hi Jen! I've just been reading through a bit of your blog, after coming here from Tara's. Congratulations on your upcoming event! So exciting. I had to laugh, because mine and Don's "relationship" started through nice notes as well. I remember bringing Don's nice notes to NYC when I went to visit Tara, a couple weeks after I'd met him. I was beyond excited about it all. You guys look great together and so happy! Congrats again!